A Catalog of Stupidity
- In college (university for those not from the US) they taught us how to write papers using MLA style.
- They also taught us to write academic papers, yes, academic papers, using I.
- Everyone should cringe at that last bit.
- The last three years of college were spent unlearning what was taught to us in the first.
- Also, no one uses MLA.
- Every bit of semi-professional writing or editing I’ve been asked to do has used either the NYT stylebook, APA, or Chicago.
- But MLA is stuck in my brain because I’m a good little puppy who learns lots of tricks… like how to write useless academic papers using I.
- Seriously, I.
- NYU, you were smoking some serious crack back in the day.
- And as with crack use, my brain is now riddled with holes because of NYU.
Point of this whine, I must now refresh my knowledge of Chicago style for edits on the big thing. It’s gonna get rough.
I, I… yeah, I.